Landlord Insurance

Compare Landlord Insurance from specialist UK insurance providers

  • Find affordable Landlord Insurance
  • Flexible & Pay Monthly Policies!
  • 1 Quick & Easy Form!
save time

Quickly Apply

Complete our quick & easy form with a few essential details about you and your policy needs

compare insurance

We Search

We search our panel of specialists to find you the Cheapest Landlord Insurance

cheap insurance

You Save

You save money by picking the right policy at the right price from a broker of your choice

Compare Landlords Insurance

Working with specialist landlord insurance brokers, we are able to connect you with insurance providers that can best help you!

Whether you require insurance for a residential, commercial or multiple properties, we have specialist brokers that can help you.

Why compare policies?

Not every property is the same, especially when it comes to commercial properties. As well as this, not every broker is competitive at covering all types of property.

By comparing policies through us, you cut out the leg work of searching round. We quickly look at what you need to insure and connect you with brokers that can help you the most.

Quotes and subsequent policies will be fully tailored to your needs ensuring you are fully protected for the things you want protect.

What is Landlords Insurance?

Landlord insurance, also commonly known as ‘let property insurance’ is a policy designed to cover properties that are not occupied by the owner.

Buildings and contents cover should be bought regardless of whether it is a residential property or a commercial property.

If you require insurance for a commercial premises, please check out our commercial landlord or commercial property insurance pages.

What do landlord policies protect?

Your landlord insurance cover will be completely tailorable to cover a wide range of things depending on your requirements. You will be able to choose the level of cover that is right for you but typically, you can include the below below aspects.

Buildings Cover

This aspect of the policy will cover the cost of the building itself. It will cover anything from repairs to complete rebuild costs should the building be beyond repair.

Contents Cover

If you provide furnished properties to let, then it is wise to purchase contents cover. This will ensure things like sofas and beds are insured as well.

Alternative Accommodation

If something should go badly wrong with the property that is not the tenants fault, it is likely you will be liable for finding them somewhere else to stay whilst your property is corrected.

Accidental Damage

Mistakes happen, as such, you can request accidental damage protection be part of your let property insurance quote.

Malicious Damage

If the damage caused is not accidental but more of a deliberate nature, your policy can be tailored to incorporate this as well.

Landlord Liability

Although this is more of a blanket term. When included in your policy, liability cover protects you against claims where you are liable. It will be essential to check the small print on this though as not all liability will be covered.

Loss of Rent

When purchased as part of your policy, loss of rent will cover you when your property is not be tenable through things such as flood or fire. It does not cover tenants who do not pay their rent (although this type of cover is still available).

Accidents do happen. Because of this, you should consider legal expenses protection. Legal expenses protection is their to cover you against the costs of using legal professionals to fight tenant claims.

Excess Protection

Your policy can be tailored so that your excess is minimal or nothing at all should you need to claim. Although policies can be marginally dearer with excess protection, it does mean if you need to claim, there is little to no upfront cos.

Key Protection

Need to call a locksmith or have the locks changed on a property? No problem, ask for key protection and this shall all be seen to for you.

Insuring multiple properties

Many landlords own multiple rental properties and cover all of them under one policy. If you own several let properties, insuring them under one policy is often the cheapest way to protect all your assets.

Your property portfolio insurance can also cover for commercial aspects as well. Policies are extremely versatile and tailored to your exact needs.

Can I get Cheap Landlord Insurance?

Your ability to get cheap landlords insurance will depend entirely on the properties, the type of tenant you intend to have and you own risk profile.

Typically though, insurance for let properties is usual inexpensive. Providing you are not looking to insure any real at risk properties, you should find you policy will be quite competitive.

What you should consider being a landlord

Because landlord insurance is not compulsory, many people believe it to be an unnecessary expense. While it may be an additional expense you could do without, it is essential if a disaster occurs and provides you with security and peace of mind. Our experts suggest why you should have insurance for landlords and what you need to know to keep you covered.

You may not be covered if you have tenants

Landlord insurance is not actually a legal requirement. However, standard home insurance will not cover you as a landlord if something goes wrong.

Having tenants occupy a property brings added risk and increased chances of a claim. For example, students place a greater risk to a provider than a single professional living in the same property.

Insurance for landlords takes into consideration these chances of claims arriving and covers you appropriately.

Not providing smoke and carbon monoxide alarms may invalidate your policy

It is a legal requirement to place smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on each floor of the property . You must regularly get these alarms tested too, in order to make sure the property is safe for tenants.

It is also extremely important that you frequently inspect your gas and electricity supplies. Failure to do so may mean that your insurer could deem your policy invalid. It also leaves you vulnerable to tenants taking you to court. This will be extremely costly, in terms of time, reputation and finance.

Consider your vacancy times

Most landlord policies will cover you for up to 30 days should your property be vacant. This ensures you have cover if you need to repair a leak or want to undertake a quick renovation.

However, if you plan to have your property sitting empty for several months then you need to let your insurer know so they can update your policy.

Adding an unoccupied property insurance policy to your existing cover means you are safe and insured for longer periods of time.

Why use Total Insurance

We work with leading UK property brokers who work hard to ensure you and your properties are protected. By using us, we enable you to compare landlords insurance quickly and easily better enabling you to get a cheap landlord insurance policy.

The brokers we use are FCA registered and operate in the UK to ensure you maximum protection.