If you are a self-employed truck driver, or just responsible for sorting your own lorry insurance, it can be assumed that you either way, you won’t have a great deal of time on your hands to sort out your insurance. As such, we have put together a simple read through guide that will help you get it right first time!
Before you start your application
Before you begin your application, take the time to get together all the relevant information you are going to need. You will be asked to provide the following information:
- The HGV’s standard information such as weight etc
- The nature of your business and the general use of the HGV
- All drivers you wish to insure on the truck
- All driver occupations
- How long the drivers have held their licence
- The operator licence numbers
It is essential in the UK that all drivers hold a Driver CPC Certificate if they wish to operate a HGV. These certificates demonstrate you operate in a professional manor with confidence.
What Vehicle information is required?
When finding the right policy for you, it is essential that the insurers has an accurate description. Regarding your vehicle, you will be asked to confirm
- The type of HGV you wish to insure IE 44 Tonne Truck, or Skip Lorry
- The use of vehicle and if it is to travel in Europe
- The weight
- The Value
What policy information is required?
Providing accurate policy information is essential if you wish to be able to claim in the event of an accident. Don’t be tempted to bend the truth of lie as it can have terrible consequences including potential jail time in the event of a severe accident.
You will need to declare:
- Any driver accidents of claims
- Any driver convictions
- Any pending or unspent criminal convictions
A standard policy may not cover everything you need it to. As such, additional cover may be required or cover that just helps your business continue should you have an accident. These covers can include.
- Employers liability insurance
- Goods In Transit Cover
- Breakdown recovery
- Replacement HGV should yours be off the road
- Excess protection
- Windscreen cover
Once you have collated all the relevant information, give our team a call who will help you Compare HGV Truck Insurance.